🎭 Marketing?- Antigua, Guatemala
My only goal this week was to do more marketing (that’s 2 weeks in a row for those counting at home) but…
I just couldn’t do it.
📰 Marketing? How about no.
- I procrastinated hard and re-evaluated my goals
- If I don’t enjoy it, is it really worth it?
- The Mom Test guy says no (he hates marketing too)
- Is marketing even the right step for me right now? 🤔
I said fuck it and built the Firefox extension instead.
🦊 Panda Snap: FF edition
- FF is rad. My users use it, I love it, and I couldn’t wait to support it!
- I can highly recommend the webextension-polyfill:
- to provide consistent Chrome/FF APIs
- to use promises over callbacks 👌
- 💀 Just be warned…
- API outcomes still differ. Browsers have differences and they are a pain to debug.
- Like how captureTab images vary so all my snap logic broke
- Or how FF is stricter so APIs just died with my old permissions
Thankfully it’s close. Expect the FF edition this week!
👩💻 Marketing? How about code.
- Instead of normal marketing can you market through code instead?
- Froala Design Blocks says its biggest traffic is thanks to GitHub stars
- LogoJoy creates micro-sites to market while adding value to users
- Want an example? Free icons by TailwindLabs. You see? It’s working right now!
This sounds way more fun to me and I want in.
I plan to open source my masonry grid soon. Stay tuned.
😵 Old mate Tim
- I found a whimsical story of a man with a peculiar business sense
- 🥊 He was tricked into selling ‘warming pans’ and wool mittens in the topical West Indies. He still profited off them apparently.
- 🏭 People joked that he should ‘ship coal to Newcastle’. He did so during a miners’ strike for a premium.
- 💰 He also made a mint by buying worthless money and selling it to the US government.
Is there a lesson to be learned here?
🧪 Marketing? How about experiments.
- What’s my plan this week? Fuck marketing goals, I can’t be trusted.
- But I need to start monetising. How you ask? Experiments.
- Instead of building new features I’ll test whether users want them.
- This is what I’ll do:
- List potential premium features
- Add fake UIs/buy buttons to said features
- Contact users who try to buy and Mom Test them
I’m way more excited by this. Tune in for results next week.